Skip to main content

Meet Chloe.

In the summer of 2016, the Lam family’s world was turned upside down by their 10-year-old gymnast. At 1 p.m., Chloe Lam was showing off her backflip at school. By 3 p.m., she arrived home, announced she was exhausted and collapsed on the living room floor. Chloe woke up from her nap an hour later with a 104-degree fever and a pounding headache.

Chloe was rushed to her local children’s hospital. After some initial tests, doctors thought Chloe had strep and sent her home with antibiotics. But Chloe’s condition worsened. That’s when her parents called 911 and Chloe returned to the hospital in an ambulance. Doctors rushed to pump her with fluids and antibiotics as she was severely dehydrated, and her blood pressure was dangerously low.

After two days in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), doctors figured it out. Chloe had an extremely rare strain of strep. This invasive strain of bacteria was emitting toxins into her bloodstream and had transformed into toxic shock syndrome, a rare reaction that can turn lethal if not caught in time. Once pinpointed, it can be treated with the correct combination of antibiotics.

 

Chloe’s parents are certain that the team of doctors and caretakers and their children’s hospitals is what saved Chloe’s life.